1059364 | GERMAN STATES. Remagen. St. Apollinaris Church. 1853 Bronzed AE Medal. PCGS SP63.
Edge: Plain. 60mm. 99.59gm. Exterior of church with small crowned arms and supporters above; inscription in exergue /
Interior of church. Hoydonck-140.
St. Apollinariskirche Church.
Housed in an oversized holder.
Please use this link to verify the PCGS certification number 39364588
The Apollinariskirche is a church on the site of a Roman temple on the Apollinarisberg, a hill above the German town of Remagen. That hill was known as the Martinsberg in the 5th and 6th centuries, presumably after a Frankish chapel there dedicated to Saint Martin, patron of the Franks. In the 9th century this chapel was replaced by a Romanesque church.
In 1110 the Benedictines of the Michaelsberg Abbey, on the initiative of the people of Remagen, set up a provost there. The relics of Saint Apollinaris of Ravenna probably arrived on the mountain at the end of the 14th century, since a pilgrimage to the Apollinarisberg is recorded in 1384. The sarcophagus is the main relic in the 14th century crypt of the church.
A new Neo-Gothic church was built on the site from 1837 to 1852. [Wikipedia.org].